Watercolor Painting Effect
The Watercolor Painting Effect lets you turn normal footage or photos into an animated watercolor painting in Adobe After Effects. The effect uses real paint textures to produce completely authentic results.
With a variety of animated paper textures, watery distortion effects, and custom ink bleeds, this template offers plenty of opportunity to be creative and make striking animations and watercolor reveals. Best of all, it's completely customizable with easy-to-use controls, so you can tweak the effect to perfectly suit your footage.
- Compatible with Adobe After Effects, versions CS5 and all later versions (including Creative Cloud). Works on both Mac or PC. No plugins required. (CS5 and CS6 users will notice a label on all customization controls that says "Missing". This does not affect functionality, and the controls will work as intended).
- This template has been universalized, so it will work for users running After Effects in other languages, as long as they're using CS6 and up. The template may partially work in foreign languages in CS5, but with some errors.
- This template was upgraded and updated in 2018. The video tutorial was made prior to the update and some elements may look or work a little differently. Be sure to read the written instructions in the template - they are thorough and up-to-date.
- Two versions of the template are included: HD (1920x1080) and 4K (4096x2160). The effects work great on photos, text, and graphics with transparent backgrounds, but it is not designed for exporting images at a higher resolution than 4096x2160.
- The watercolor effect comps in this template are 10 frames per second, giving them the choppy stop-motion look seen in the demo video. The reduced frame rate also speeds up render times considerably. You can change the frame rate in the "Composition Settings" panel, or if you like the look of a reduced frame rate, but need to export at a higher rate like 29.97fps or 25fps, create a new comp with the higher frame rate, and place the watercolor painting effect comp into that one.
- Music and footage in demo video are not included.
The Watercolor Painting Effect template is not a plugin. It's an Adobe After Effects project file, commonly known as a "template" because the work is already done and the user needs only to insert their footage and make their own adjustments. This template is compatible with version CS5 as well as all later versions of After Effects.
Because the Watercolor Painting Effect template contains copyrighted intellectual property, the sharing or online posting of project files with or for anyone other than a client is prohibited. See the Terms and Conditions for more details.
Positive and/or negative feedback is appreciated. Use the contact page to send me a message.